Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Class Assignment 02 Curvilinear & Rectilinear Designs

Curvilinear



I was inspired by Art Nouveau which uses curvilinear lines to express organic form and life in their designs. In this image, I used shape by creating different curvilinear shapes to form into a tree. You can see that there is negative space created by the background and positive space created by the tree. I believe that value can also create a focal point, not just by use of line. When looking at the image, the viewers eyes are naturally drawn to the bottom of the tree and by using value their eyes work their way up as the color gets lighter and lighter.


 Rectilinear


I was inspired by this image when looking at the barcode of a magazine that featured colorful designs by use  of rectilinear shapes. I thought, "Hey what if I combined them together...?" and this was the result. By lining up the shapes in a horizontal line, it creates an implied line which draws viewers to move their eyes from one end of the barcode to the other. I also used value to differentiate the size of the rectangles. The focal point is the largest rectangle since it stands out among the other shapes and is colored in a light-green tone making it stand out a lot more as it is a bright color compared to the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment